Monday 25 August 2014

Zeus has delayed me

I have a difficult relationship with Zeus, the God of the sky and Father of all Gods. He has treated me over the years to spectacular experiences and silky smooth air. However, he likes to assert his authority from time to time and enjoys mucking up plans that have been long in the making.  This week is no different. Zeus has decided to move a trough and low pressure zone directly across my path to Australia.

Despite the  obvious difficulties of low cloud and rain I have to pay careful attention to the winds. If I have too much head wind I run the risk that I'll run out of fuel before reaching my destination at Norfolk or Lord Howe Islands or the Australian continent.  It makes no sense embarking on a long over-water leg when there's a high chance that you must turn around before reaching your Point of No Return because you don't have the endurance to make it to your destination.

In addition both Norfolk and Lord Howe Islands are not much more than rocks protruding from the vast Pacific and can be subject to strong winds that make a safe landing difficult to pull off.  If I can't land safely I don't have anywhere else to go.

At this stage my plan is to fly to Kerikeri on Wednesday and be ready for a departure to Norfolk Island on Thursday when the worst of the nasty coloured stuff that Zeus has painted across the weather map has passed.


Special thanks to good friend, fellow pilot and meteorologist Tony Quayle. He's taught me so much about the weather in the last few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment