Wednesday 27 August 2014

Rain rain go away

I left home today with the objective of getting to Kerikeri ready for a departure to Norfolk Ialand tomorrow.

The flight from Paraparaumu to Ardmore airfield was lovely. It was straight up to 7500' and above a broken layer of clouds. The mountains looked spectacular as I flew over Wanganui and onto Raglan before turning toward Ardmore. It was a quick stop at Ardmore to collect the liferaft that I've hired and which is mandatory on flights beyond 100nm (185km) from the coast.

Leaving Ardmore I passed to the east of Auckland and over the top of Rangitoto Island tracking toward Warkworth. However to the south of Warkworth I ran into heavy rain and lowering cloud. There was no way though that stuff.  After doubling back I headed for the west coast of the North Island to see if I could get north up there to Kerikeri. However, that wasn't much better.  At that point I gave up and retreated to North Shore airfield.  Bugger!

So I'm in Auckland staying at my sister Brenda's for the night.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Pete...watching from the other side of the ditch in anti cyclonic conditions...cleared for take off when Zeus allows...cheers the "pink RVer"

    ReplyDelete