Thursday 15 August 2019

Flight Tracking

Several people have asked me how they can track our flight.  I worry about these people and didn’t think there were many like me who are obsessed with an aircraft inching along a track minute by minute.

My aircraft ZK-VRV, aka “Thunderbird 6” has Spidertracks installed.  Spidertracks uses the Inmarsat satellite constellation to send position reports at 2 minute intervals which can plot an aircraft position anywhere on the Earth.

VH-BAC doesn’t have Spidertracks installed but instead has an ADSB-Out Transponder which is used by Air Traffic Control to identify and seperate aircraft.  All private aircraft operators are being encouraged to install ADSB which is not cheap and provides few benefits to a private aircraft operator. It’s a contentious subject ... don’t start me!

Anyway - VH-BAC has an ADSB transponder installed and can be tracked using FlightRadar24.  FlightRadar24 is an amazing free web site that allows you to track aircraft anywhere in the world - including me.

If you click the following link, FlightRadar24 should be launched and show the latest track recorded by VH-BAC so you can see where we are and where we’ve been:  FlightRadar24 - VH-BAC

For those of my mates that use AvPlan, you should be able to see us in the normal way.

No comments:

Post a Comment