Saturday 5 August 2023

Our aircraft - Cessna 182L, VH-DXJ

Cessna 182's (C182) are the "station wagon" of the sky.  Bigger than the ubiquitous Cessna 172, they are ideal for touring as they have a good payload (can carry a good load), are rugged and their cruise speed is respectable.

I've logged 117hrs in C182s over the years and have fond memories of flying the type on a tour in South Africa in 2011.  Since purchasing my own Vans RV-6 aircraft, I haven't done much C182 flying but recently completed my Biennial Flight Review in ZK-NML operated by the Kapiti Aero Club in preparation for this trip.

VH-DXJ is a 1968 Cessna 182L that is privately owned.  I originally booked it through Aircraft Australia and was horrified to hear a few weeks ago they had gone into liquidation.  Fortunately the owner, Douglas, has allowed me to hire it directly for him for this trip.

Some facts about the aircraft:

  • Empty weight: 1270 lbs / 576 kg
  • Maximum All Up Weight (MAUW): 2800 lbs / 1270 kg
  • Cruise speed:  130kts
  • Total fuel capacity:  310ltrs
  • Planned fuel consumption:  55lts/hr

We're dry-hiring VH-DXJ at AUD$294/hr, which means we pay for our own fuel as we fly and have to return the aircraft with the same amount of fuel as it had when we departed.  Just like a rental car.

Unfortunately VH-DXJ doesn't have an ADSB transponder installed so my flying friends will be unable to track our progress on FlightAware or FlightRadar24.

VH-DXJ is a 55yr old aircraft and has been well loved.  My initial impression when introduced to her was that she was a bit tatty.  However, that impression was quickly overcome when I flew her.  Her engine is smooth with plenty of power.  Although the control forces necessary to guide her around the sky are much heavier than my aircraft and what I'm used to, she flies straight and true and is easy to trim.  When setup in straight and level flight she obediently cruises along nicely.

VH-DXJ, our friend for the next 2 weeks

Flight deck with dated but dependable instruments

Check flight

I hold an Australian Private Pilots Licence which allows me to fly Australian-registered light aircraft, but when hiring an aircraft, it's normal to be checked out by an instructor before you can fly it solo.  This is often also an insurance requirement.  Since booking VH-DXJ I've been liaising with Marcus and this morning he took me on my check flight.

The conditions were great for our flight.  Warm and clear skies and not much apparent wind.  Departing from Redcliffe airport north of Brisbane, we flew the short distance to the east coast of Bribie Island where we did four stalls in various configurations, a couple of steep turns, and the beginning of a forced landing drill to ensure I could set the aircraft in a glide approach and demonstrate trouble checks.  We  then requested clearance into the Sunshine Coast airport for a touch and go.

Departing Sunshine Coast airfield, we turned on a southerly heading back to Redcliffe and then we were done.

No comments:

Post a Comment