Friday 20 May 2016

Trans-Tasman Flying Adventure - Take Two

Don't ask me to explain it but I'm obsessed by long flights to faraway places.  There's not many books and blogs that I haven't read about epic flights around the world in classic "man & machine" conquests over vast distances and political/bureaucratic challenges.  To pursue a dream you have to start somewhere and for a long time the challenge of flying to Australia has beckoned me.

In 2014 I tried a crossing of the Tasman Sea to meet up with friends for an outback flying adventure but was foiled by the weather.  Four days in a Kerikeri motel watching torrential rain and then finding my plane full of water after months of planning for the crossing was a bit tough.  But the challenge of a Tasman crossing didn't go away.

Late in 2015 I was contacted by Dave Wilkinson and Bill Luther and asked to help them with their planning for a Trans-Tasman crossing.  The answer was easy.  "Of course - but only if I can come too"!  We've had many conversations and lots of fun planning this trip.

I love the outback of Australia.  The colours, textures and ... nothingness are amazing.  The more isolated and remote it is the better I like it.  The down-to-earth (take no bullshit) characters you meet in outback pubs are priceless.  Introducing Dave, his Dad Don and Bill to the outback is something I'm really looking forward to.  I hope you'll follow us ...

2 comments:

  1. Good on you Peter. If I left now in the Zodiac I could probably get there by next week! Wish you all far winds and blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. ARK Survival Evolved PC Game Download

    ReplyDelete