One of my goals for this REALLY Big Trip around Australia was to fly ZK-VRV, “Thunderbird 6”, to Adelaide and take my grandchildren, Arlo (nearly 7) and Annabelle (5), flying. Ever since they were born, I’ve dreamed of being the one to introduce them to the magic of light aircraft. With a grandfather who lives and breathes aviation and a father who flies for a living, the flying bug was always going to find them eventually.
On their visits to New Zealand they’ve seen “Pop’s plane”, and Arlo even has a big photo of it on his bedroom wall. As I made my way around Australia, Andrew kept them updated, pointing out where I was and teaching them a bit of Aussie geography along the way.
Landing at Aldinga was one of those moments I’ll remember forever. As I taxied in, there they were — two little figures waving with all the enthusiasm in the world. I’m fairly sure a bit of dust blew into my eye right then because things got blurry for a moment.
There was much excited chatter as the kids helped me unpack the aircraft and push it into a hangar for a few days that a fellow pilot, Allan Gray had offered me when I met him at Karumba.
I’d arrived on a Saturday, and the kids had Monday off school. Annabelle has just turned five, and Tuesday was her first day at “big school” wearing her new school uniform. Being part of that milestone before I left was an unexpected bonus.
We’d hoped to take them flying during their last trip to New Zealand, but the weather didn’t cooperate. I didn’t want their first experience to be bumpy or frightening. This time, though, Monday was perfect — so back to Aldinga we went.
With a booster seat safely setup on the passenger seat, Annabelle decided she would be first up for a ride. Full of confidence she climbed into the booster seat first. She loved the short ten-minute hop south of the airfield, chatting the whole way and proudly recognising the motorway we’d driven in on. She giggled at the firm bump of the landing and immediately asked to go again. That's how I wanted it to be.
Arlo followed. He’s more reserved, but he climbed in without hesitation. Another short flight, just enough to give him a taste. When we touched down smoothly, he grinned and said, “I heard the tyres squeak.” I told him he’d better report that to Dad!
Sharing those flights with them after imagining the moment for a long time was something truly precious. A memory I’ll hold close for the rest of my life.
My special photos
![]() |
| Greeted by my two best buddies at Aldinga airfield |
| "Let's go Pop" |
| Luvin' it |
| "My turn" |
| "This is cool Pop" |

No comments:
Post a Comment